When following up on a post, I saw a teen girl’s suicide note on Tumblr. I tried to reach her. I hope she’s still alive, but I haven’t heard from her. I know the bleakness and boundless pain that make people suicidal, the blackness, the black hole in your chest. After having made it through that hell and finding some joy, I know that dying in emotional pain, never knowing true joy or self-acceptance, is more of a tragedy than just the loss of life. I don’t want you to die that way, but I can’t find you to stop you.
You, suicidal teen, of all people will be a highly valuable human when you recover. The depths of that pain give your soul depth. You can understand pain in ways that some people can’t. You will try to stop pain in others. You will care more and you will make this a better place, and you will have a greater understanding of human existence, the worst of it and (eventually) the best of it. Joy will be a shining treasure to you, lighting up your soul. You will make humanity better.
The following is a list of places to turn to in the event of serious self-harm or suicidal intent. If you want to kill yourself, please call these people before doing anything.
- US National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
- HOPELineUK 0800 068 41 41
- Scottish Hotline 08454 24 24 24
- ROI Hotlines 1850 60 90 90
- Australian Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
- Australian Hotline 13-11-14
- Nippon Hotlines 3-5286-9090
- Philippines Hotline (02) 8969191
- Philippines Hotline Mobile 0917 854 9191
- French Hotlines 01-45-39-4000
- French Hotlines 01-46-21-4646
- French Hotlines (+33) 1-40-09-1522
If you know of others, please submit them.